Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Climbing Mount Santubong

Mount Santubong just 35km away from Kuching city......standing at 810metres(2,658feet). Best way to get to the peak is hike. (The main photo is at the top of my blog)

I have been aiming to climb Santubong for a long time ...so this was my chance!!



So me ,my boss and two of my experience friends decided to make an inpromptu excursion to Mount Santubong .......an unwise but adventurers decision eventhough the odds are against us!
The trail ascending to the mountain are not easy,tree roots ,rocks and tree branches are the added obstacles besides the 45-90 angle climb.

We started at F6 and this is somwhere at F7 ...this took about an hour and believe me we were panting to get here!!!!!!
This is a 70 degree ascend to F8 , one of the toughest of the journey so far !
I thougth i dropped my lungs somewhere down there.....man....its tough!!!!

My Boss, Ching On taking a break at F8 .....one tough dude!!
A magnificent view ...a clear view of a fish farm and Kuching at far end.

Me and Ching On taking a breather at F8 .
Behind is at least a 100 meters dropped ...makes you legs go wobbly!!!!

Another view of the southern estuaries and mountains .





F8 is a mid-way resting piont...it took us 2hrs to get here and would be another 2 hours or so to reach the peak at F16.............



We reached F9 .......a 90 degrees climb by ladder to reach F10!


This would be our final capped as evening is approaching and we are getting our feel on the ropes before our next trip here again ......The going gets tough the tough gets going!!!!!

Our descend down the foothills which is no less tougher than the climb..........



Ching On and the Evening skies on the final descend to F6....................


We looked beat but all smiles ...."Nothing contributes so much to tranqualize the mind as a steady purpose"(Mary Shelley)

Until my next trip .....vowed to reach the peak next time!!!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool! Too bad you didnt reach the top tho. We almost gave up upon reaching F12, but we did it anyway. Have to admit F7-F8 was the toughest route ever!

Anyways, hope that you reach the top next time, believe me, it's worth the sweat and dirt!

cheers!

Anonymous said...

Good post.